Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS) is a nonprofit organization that provides settlement and integration services to all immigrants and refugees in Calgary and Southern Alberta. With over 35 years of solid community experience, 70 active programs, and comprehensive wraparound support, CCIS ensures that our services respond to the needs of ethnically diverse communities within Calgary and area.
Our Enhanced Life Skills Worker provides life skills orientation and practical support on a one-to-one basis to recently arrived Government Assisted Refugees (GARs) who have been assessed and referred by their Resettlement Counselor.
To provide “Enhanced Life Skills Orientation” which includes and emphasizes:
- Adjusting to permanent accommodation (either high-rise apartment building or house)
- Principles of maintaining security and safety for all family members at home
- Appliance usage and maintenance (cooking range, fridge, microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher, laundry, etc.)
- Water usage (plumbing system, drinking water, waste disposal, cleaning, etc.)
- Health and hygiene (use of cleaning and hygiene products etc.)
- Food and nutrition (preparation, packaging, storage, waste disposal, etc.)
- Money management (budgeting, banking, bill payments, etc.)
- Time management
- Any other practical life skills supports that may help GAR families settle in the community
- Provide escort and interpretation if and when required
- Post-secondary education in Social Services, Education or related field
- Related experience working with mainstream community services or ethnic communities
- A current valid driver’s license, clean driver’s abstract, and access to a reliable vehicle are required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule/hours, including evenings and weekends
- Our successful candidate will be fluent in a second language (for example, Spanish, Arabic, Sudanese, Somali, Aramaic, Swahili, Tigrigna, Amharic)
- Able to take initiative, work independently and organize work and records
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 2-3 years of Canadian work experience is preferred
Qualified candidates are invited to send resume and cover letter to .
Please include “Application to Enhanced Life Skills Worker” in the subject line of your email.
This posting has no end date. Qualified applicants will be considered and interviewed as they are received.
CCIS thanks all applicants, however, only those selected to compete further for this position will be contacted.