Jumpstart to Success provides immigrant youth with the necessary life skills, employability skills, and support to adapt to Canadian society, overcome barriers to employment, and succeed on the job. Three different components are offered. Participants may take one or two of the following:
- Group Based Employability Skills (GBES) is a 6-week workshop. Topics include: effective communication, problem solving, organizational skills, decision- making skills, money management, health and wellness, employability and social skills. Workshop participants will also benefit from a number of guest speakers and they will have an opportunity to visit cultural venues in Calgary.
- Employability Skills through Work Experience (ESWE) is a 2-week workshop followed by a 10-week work experience placement. This intervention will provide the necessary tools for immigrant youth to find and sustain full time permanent employment in Canada. Topics include: interview skills, resume and cover letter writing, job search strategies, communication skills, Canadian and workplace culture, and building diverse teams.
- Work Experience (WE) is a 12-week work experience designed for individuals who demonstrate strong employability skills, but lack Canadian work experience. This will provide participants with practical one-on-one support searching for, and securing workplace experience, and an opportunity to gain additional skills to assist in securing gainful employment.
Jumpstart to Success participants will have access to personalized support, a living allowance for workshop attendees, child care cost reimbursement and transit passes for workshop purposes.
This program is funded by the Government of Canada’s Skills Link program
Participants of the Jumpstart to Success program must be:
- between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive)
- Not in school full time
- legally entitled to work in Canada
- a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
|Contact Jumpstart to Success|
|Heather Tompson || Program Coordinator|
|Email:||htompson [AT] ccisab [DOT] ca