The Youth Connections Program is designed to support the integration of newcomer youth into Canadian society and promote more inclusive communities.
- Youth Connections meets weekly at lunch for Culture Club at Diefenbaker High School, Sir John A MacDonald, Bishop Grandin, Father Scollen, St. John XXIII, Bishop O’Byrne High School, and Bishop Kidd Junior High.
- During Culture Club we explore various cultural celebrations and traditions through hands-on activities such as crafts, games, preparing food from various cultures, and dancing. Students have the opportunity to practice English, make new friends, learn about other cultures, get homework help, and have fun!
- Youth Cultural Ambassador training is another interactive workshop for youth ages 12-25, and aims to build bridges between diverse groups and individuals in their schools and communities by creating welcoming and inclusive environments.
As a Youth Cultural Ambassador you will:
- Become a positive role model in your school and/or community
- Have an awareness of other cultures and your own
- Welcome newcomers into their new environment
- Explore and promote diversity
- Foster communication & understanding between people
- Diffuse potential conflicts related to diversity
- Gain leadership skills
- Gain intercultural communication skills
- Gain self-awareness
This program is a feature of our Community Development division.