Our program staff assist refugee claimants during their claim process and provide support when addressing any issues which may arise while they are navigating the Refugee Determination Process in Calgary.
Refugee Claimants are individuals who must flee their country to seek asylum (protection) in another country. These claims are made after arrival in Canada.
- One-on-one meetings to assess needs and create an Action Plan.
- Information and referrals for additional help and support prior to, and after, a hearing with the Immigration & Refugee Board (IRB).
- Supportive counselling and referral to therapeutic counselling for those having difficulties in coping.
- Referrals to diversity services and connections to other resources available in the community.
- Assistance with preparation of essential documentation (Work Permits, Permanent Residence applications, and other eligible benefits).
- Referral to the IRB Ready Tour for hearing preparation.
- Referral for health, food, shelter and other basic needs.
- Referrals to educational facilities and/or employment preparation & training programs.
- Assistance to allow for a smooth introduction and transition into the broader community.
For more information please contact:
Sultana Assar, Program Lead