This program matches volunteer tutor hosts with immigrant seniors who want to learn basic English and/or improve their English language skills. We also offer computer tutoring and the literacy side of health. For example: reading and following a prescription label.
We offer a variety of group events, (multi-cultural events, legal and/or health related workshops) to help seniors with their understanding of the Canadian experience, and life in Canada.
In collaboration with Bow Valley College, the YWCA, and Calgary Public Library, this program provides excellent training opportunities for all volunteer tutors.
- Matching immigrant seniors with trained volunteers for weekly meetings to:
- learn or practice English (speaking, reading and/or writing)
- socialize and develop friendships
- learn about Canadian society and the Calgary community.
- Providing educational and ESL group programs at CCIS or other locations, led by volunteers.
- Helping newcomer seniors access resources in the community related to health, transportation, social programs, housing, finances, and more.
- Connecting immigrant seniors to other CCIS programs and other ethnic seniors groups.
For more information on the services or volunteer opportunities, please contact the Senior Connections Program at 403.290.5756.