Every day thousands of individuals are driven from their homes by conflict, violence, human rights violations and persecution.
According to the United Nations there 65 million refugees worldwide. 50% are under the age of 18.
When they arrive in Calgary they are overwhelmed and traumatized. They need our help and protection to rebuild their lives.
They are the survivors.
Our Community Connections For Newcomers Program matches volunteers with new immigrant families to provide opportunities for learning, as well as support to make their new country feel like ‘home’ again. These are life-changing friendships waiting to be shared.
We accept both family units and individuals as volunteers.
- Patient, open-minded, mature, possibly retired or semi-retired.
- Willing and able to introduce your family to all that Calgary has to offer.
- Help them connect with community resources.
- Go on outings together.
- Explain Canadian culture.
- Share family stories.
- Assist in their use of English.
- Answer questions.
- Offer advice, and so much more.